Friday, November 26, 2010

One Step Closer

(aka I had a sonohysterogram and all I got were these lousy prescriptions)

It's taken me a little while to write this post because I'm still trying to accept everything that I have learned.

On the 18th of this month, I had a sonohysterogram (which warrants its own blog post) and I found out some results that weren't the best.

My hope was that I would go in and have the procedure, she'd marvel at how healthy all of my girly parts were and then she'd guarantee that I would get pregnant upon my first IUI next month. Unfortunately, the appointment was nothing at all like the fantasy that I had crafted. Instead, it was filled with a lot of sort of bad news/good news. During this visit, I found out the following:
  1. I have a fibroid. A humongous fibroid. (BOO!) But it is far enough in the uterine wall that there is no distortion. (YAY!)
  2. I have clear, unobstructed, wide open tubes. (YAY!)
  3. My progesterone levels during my mid-luteal phase aren't high enough. (BOO!)
  4. I've been given medication to bring about super ovulation and a trigger shot next month. (BOO and YAY!)
Now, I have never in this life attempted to get pregnant, so there is no actual diagnosis of infertility. I have a few factors, but that wouldn't necessarily stop me. That makes me happy. But I do have to admit that there was a level of disappointment that I had any of those issues wrong with me. I wanted to be deemed perfectly ready to go!

Oh, did I also mention that I'm 40?

So I have a couple of things working against me, but I have a lot working for me. So I'm feeling optimistic about this. My hope is that I will be starting the New Year with a baby in my belly!

2 comments:

  1. The progesterone can be easily remedied with supplements. I have been taking Crinone suppositories since my second cycle, during luteal phase. It's really not bad at all. People complain about the 'build up' that happens after a while... but really, it's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

    Glad your fibroid is not in the way. I had a small polyp removed back in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was concerned about the fibroid, but it's about 1.5 inches and it's far enough in the wall that the uterus has still retained its shape. I was thankful for that, though I'd rather not have it of course. I don't have money for surgery (uninsured), so I can't have it removed. It would cost too much money. So we're going to move forward and I'll just remain hopeful. :)

    ReplyDelete