Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why I Am Here

When I was fifteen, my best friend and I had started making plans on how we would raise our children together. Just two single women in a house with our children, as if that was the most normal thing one could imagine. While my other friends were dreaming of wedding dresses and the colors their bridesmaid dresses would be, I thought of being a mother, raising my children with a supportive group of friends and family. From that time on, I believed I'd be a single mother and I had absolutely no problem with that.

As I grew older, I found myself in a few relationships - one that included discussion of marriage - but none of them worked out and I have no regrets about that. And as I'm sitting here, three decades after the initial discussions with my best friend at the time, I find myself single with my desire to be a mother even stronger than ever. I've always said that I don't have a need to be married. I'd like it, but it's not necessary. But I have a desire to be a mother. I feel that is what I was put on this earth to be.

And so here I am, embarking on this journey that somehow, in the back of my mind, I've always known I'd find myself on. Part of me wishes that I had started a little earlier but in reality, I am glad that I am starting this journey now - at the age of 39. I have a great job that is very flexible and pays well, I am living in a city that I adore, and I am feeling much happier and more settled within my own self.

Now is the time and I am so excited to be here preparing for the greatest adventure that I will ever embark on.

No comments:

Post a Comment